Swimming (Pool Competition)
The competition will be conducted under the rules of FINA as set out in the current FINA Handbook, with the exception of the following:
For the 2018 Oceania Swimming Championships the following restrictions apply to all Federations in relation to the number of competitors in each event:
- Federations can enter unlimited swimmers per event. However, only two swimmers per Federation can medal regardless of placings in individual events.
- Where 18 or more competitors compete (swim) in the heats A & B finals will be held.
- Federations may have 3 swimmers in the A & B finals with no more than 2 swimmers in any one final. E.g. If federations have 2 swimmers in the A final then only 1 swimmer is eligible for the B final. If only one swimmer in the A final then there can be two in the B final.
- A & B finals will be for 50m, 100m & 200m events only where numbers dictate.
- 400m events (where not straight finals) will have A finals only with no more than two per federation competing.
- 800m & 1500m events will be swum as timed finals with the fastest heat swum in the finals session.
- Where less than 18 swimmers compete in the heats then only two swimmers per federation can advance to the final.
- In events with less than 8 entries these become straight finals and all swimmers can compete. However, only two swimmers per Federation can medal regardless of placings.
- Swimmers in events that are straight finals due to less than 8 entries will have the option to swim the event as an exhibition swim in the heats session. The results of such exhibition swims will have no bearing on the seeding or participation in the final to be swum in the finals session.
- Federations may enter up to two relay teams per relay event, but only one relay team per Federation can medal. Smaller Federations are encouraged to combine and enter teams. Such combined teams would compete on an exhibition only basis and would not be eligible for medal placings.
Open Water Swimming
This competition will be conducted under the rules of FINA as set out in the current FINA Handbook, with the exception of the following:
For the 2018 Oceania Open Water Championships, the following restrictions apply to all Federations in relation to the number of competitors in each event:
- No more than 3 competitors per Federation per event.